There are no words in this world that can truly encapsulate or accurately describe the delicious scents of mum's cooking. Mum is an amazing cook. While growing up, I remember that she would make a decadent version of this recipe - somehow managing to do so after work, for a family of four, all whilst looking fabulous and making it appear effortless. This recipe used to contain rice (yum) and it was just the most delicious thing that you could possibly imagine. This recipe is not quite as decadent, hence being called "no carb meatballs with low fat mince"; this one contains no rice and the mince isn't quite as fatty. Luckily, the sauce still smells the same so it reminds me of those lovely family meals.
- 500g lean mince (4 or 5 star is fine)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- Tomato sauce for taste
- Chives, chopped to taste
- Parsley, chopped to taste
- Garlic powder or 1 clove of garlic
- Salt & Pepper
- 1 tsp or so of oil to get the frying started. I used sunflower oil.
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl. I recommend using your hands.
- Heat frying pan to medium.
- Make meatballs with your hands.
- Place meatballs onto frying pan and fry until they start browning.
- Once the first side has browned, flip over to the other side. You will notice that liquid comes out - that's perfectly fine, and we like this as this forms the base of our sauce.
- Add tomato sauce to taste on top of and around the meatballs.
- Simmer for 15 mins or so, or until you are happy with the way they look, ensuring that the meatballs are cooked through.