Leek is just such a delicious vegetable, but it's so huge that it's often difficult to make use of in full. This recipe is one which makes complete use of the leek, by making it in a soup. Luckily, this green vegetable soup with leek is not your usual potato and leek soup recipe.
I love potato and leek soup, but I'm feeling like that recipe has been overdone. My recipe is new and it was somewhat experimental. I actually invented it one evening after work.
You'll also notice that below I mention a specific sauce. Do not be phased if you can't buy that one for any particular reason. I actually discovered this sauce by accident and randomly added it in, the first time that I made the soup.
You can add a tiny bit of mayonnaise instead, and the soup should still get the creamy look and feel. As it's only a small amount of sauce, it's not a huge amount of calories, given that the quantity is for the whole pot. I note that you should not use any sweet mayonnaise, but a savoury egg-based one.
- 1 leek
- 2 zucchinis
- 1 broccoli
- Roasted sesame sauce, 1-2 tbsp (optional)
- Salt & pepper
- 1/4-1/2 tsp of butter
- Chop vegetables.
- Fry leek for 5 minutes on the tiny bit of butter.
- Add garlic & fry for 2 more minutes.
- Add the rest of the vegetables, salt and pepper.
- Pour in boiling water nearly to the brim.
- Add sesame sauce or 1-2 tbsp of egg-based mayonnaise if you don't have sesame sauce on hand.
- Boil for 20-30 minutes, until cooked & enjoy.
If you liked this green vegetable soup with leek recipe as much as I do, why not subscribe today? It's free and you'll have every new Help Me Cook recipe delivered to your inbox.