Mega Chilli (Vegetarian)
In an accidental amalgamation of the two previous chilli recipes, I’ve come up with a third one. I’ve learned that as long as you have the spices right, it’s easy to put so many different things into chilli. Spare ingredients, anything you like really that seems to make sense.
- 400g of meat-free mince
- 500g cup mushrooms (or any other kind), sliced
- 1 tsp olive oil (or substitute for avocado oil if required)
- 3/4 cup reduced salt stock, any flavour (beef was used tonight)
- 1-2 onions, diced
- Minced garlic, 3 tsp
- Chilli powder, 0.5tsp for a mild spice, 1tsp for medium and more for hot spice, depending on your tolerance
- Dried paprika, 1-1.5 tsp
- Ground cumin, 1.5 tsp
- Dried oregano, 0.5 tsp
- Tomato paste, no added salt, 1.5-2tbsp
- 1 can of diced tomatoes
- 1 can of red kidney beans
- 1 roma tomato, sliced
- Heat your non-stick highpan to high. Ensure that it is hot prior to frying anything.
- Fry onions and mushrooms to the point that the mushrooms ‘sweat’ and become dark.
- Add vegetarian mince. Wait for vegetarian mince to brown.
- Add garlic and mix through.
- Add beans and mix through.
- Add roma tomatoes and mix through, browning slightly.
- Add canned tomatoes and mix through.
- Stir in the powders (chilli, paprika, cumin and oregano) and cook for 1-3 minutes. It should become fragrant.
- Add the tomato paste.
- Add stock.
- Once the liquid reduces, the chilli is ready to eat. Enjoy!
If you don’t have all the vegetables for this one, don’t stress – use what you have. Love the versatility of this one. If you liked this recipe, don’t forget to comment below and give it a try.