This recipe is my fault, I was craving pizza pockets but didn't want to ingest additional calories. Furthermore, our supermarket only had flavours that we weren't interest in eating, so why pay more and waste the calories if it isn't perfect? Exactly! That's why I invented this healthy alternative recipe.
The key to get these little pocket/baskets tasting right is to ensure you mix everything really well and add enough pizza sauce & cheese for it to melt inside, tasting indulgent. You can even go as far as making your own pizza sauce if you like, but you don't need to do that if you don't want to.
A healthy alternative of a recipe to traditional pizza pocket style snacks, you can add whatever you like and truly customise them. If you can be bothered, you can blend your vegetables together instead of chopping them & add only your franks/other meat in chunks for a different flavour.
The below combination makes at least 4 very generous pizzettes. If you wanted to make smaller pizzettes for a snack, you could use 8 shells and still get the same result.
If you have other spare ingredients around, you can also use them up in these and I am sure it will be divine.
- 4 Soft taco shells, stand-up ones or any edible open food basket you have access to; I used these ones
- 6 x mini cocktail franks (can be replaced with any other meat of your choice or even a tofu)
- 1 red capsicum
- 1 pc of spring onion
- 2 x large portabello mushrooms
- pizza base sauce
- light cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 220 or so degrees Celsius
- Chop all ingredients and mix together, including some cheese
- Add pepper and sauce
- Place into baskets
- Bake for around 15-20 mins, until cheese inside mixture has melted or appears cooked
- Melt some additional cheese on top
- Enjoy while hot 🙂